January 11, 2007

Ella and the new year

Thanks for all the comments and encouraging words. And now that we are into double digits, allow me to wish everyone a hearty new year. In the spirit of Mr. John Knightley, here's wishing that your holidays allowed you some peaceful time by your very own fire, with bad weather outside and family within. (Or, if you are as lucky as my friend Catherine, some time sitting in the 80-degree Florida sun.)

I am planning to keep up this blog in addition to the new quote blog. Yesterday's quote, by the way, if quite snarky, is one of my favorites.

I'm planning to post additional bits of the book here. I'm only afraid that by the time it comes out you will have read everything good in it, so I have to make you promise now to buy it anyway. Jane said something once (jokingly, of course) about all of her friends and family feeling obligated to buy one of her new books, and how she was very glad that they did feel obligated, even if they disliked it or never read it. I have to agree. The money is really all that matters to me, and I have friends enough to earn--oh, I don't know, a couple hundred dollars, at least.

I have a cover, which is absolutely gorgeous, and now I am only afraid (because I am always afraid of this, so bear with me) that the writing will not live up to the cover's promise. I think I'm not allowed to post it yet, because I don't know if it's been officially approved, and it may be a while before I can.

Several people have asked, here or in person, about an update on the Lyme disease. It's incredibly disheartening. I've had good days--not healthy, but better--followed by days or weeks of fatigue and insomnia and Lyme-induced haze, and nausea from all the medicine. Life is so far from normal. The latest tests show that my immune system is not rallying to fight the illness, so we are trying a new antibiotic, and--fingers crossed--there have been no bad reactions yet.

I wasn't ready for a new year, simply because hope is very short, almost nonexistent at the moment. I did not want a new year with these conditions, not knowing how long this will last or if all of 2007 will be under this very dark cloud. But I got an iPod for Christmas, and as I was recklessly downloading music I came across a collection of Ella Fitzgerald songs and decided that I could allow myself to buy it. And there she was singing Night and Day and Funny Valentine and Blue Skies and Over the Rainbow, and there was this tiny timbre of hope in my heart, a gift from God in the voice of Ella Fitzgerald.

Please continue to pray. Hope to be back here soon.

4 Comments:

Blogger DR. Wiseass said...

Lori dear -

So sorry to read about the Lyme disease...but allow me to give you a late "Welcome to the club".

I too am an official "Lymie" - not to be confused with the British nickname "limey" (spelling?) originally named for the poor unfortunate souls that died for lack of vitamin C while traveling from Britian to the New World.

I have been a blogger for about 2 years now - just celebrated my 2 year blogiversay just the other day. In all honesty, my blog celebration consisted of me nodding my head in recognition, muttering to myself that I really should update the damn thing since I haven't updated in well over 6 months; then I started looking for chocolate to pacify my angst & depression about the fact that nary a soul has bothered to write me and inquire as to if I were now dead.

Hmph.

The Lyme life can be quite lonely at times, can't it? I always enjoy it when people care enough to give appropriate feedback about my blog -- as if to say -- "I read about your horrific pain today, and it made me feel _______" It usually doesn't make a tinker's bit of difference to me HOW someone feels, just so they are touched in some way; just so they can bear (bare?) witness to the fact that I'm suffering like the stoic princess I am.

I don't know if you've experienced this or not, but when you become chronically ill and no longer give a flying rat's ass about concealing your misery among friends, family, and all those folks at church that you think will bring nutritious tuna casseroles....life can become rather lonely.

Hence, the salvation of the blog.

The good news is that over the course of the last couple of long dark miserable years...I've started to see light at the end of this tunnel, although to be truthful the only reason I stumbled onto your blog today is because I'm back in bed feeling like I've been severely beaten.

But all in all - I AM slowly getting better. My gift of rambling is still intact so I could easily just blog right here on your blog. Sorry.

I had a point I wanted to make, but damn if I remember what it was.

Come & "see" me sometime.

I'm busy with lots of Lyme advocacy & activism right now, so I rarely update my blog....but one day....one day I'm gonna post a doozy!

Stay away from butcher knifes, and if you're still on Flagyl...stay away from communion!

Please consider this blatering of nonsense my cognitvely defective way of saying: "I validate your pain & this experience. I will keep you in all good thought & prayer..."

Congrats on your upcoming book...its a reason to keep on keeping on; and some days, when you think you'd just assume "give up the ghost"... every positive thing counts!

Wishing you improved health & great fame...with the expectation that, in return, you'll use both to help bring greater awareness about this most evil disease.

Hugs & Kisses,
DR. Wiseass
-not a real doc, just a real wise ass
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

1/11/2007 07:04:00 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Love, love Ella! Wise music choice. Everything is better with old jazz.

1/11/2007 10:32:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret Feinberg said...

Health and strength, I pray for you this day! And celebration, wild celebration as your book is born!

1/14/2007 01:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mary DeMuth said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! Email me at maryedemuth at sbcglobal dot net to see if we can snag some time at ICRS

mary demuth

6/08/2007 03:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home