June 19, 2006

The great unwashed

Forgive the silence here over the last two weeks -- I've been bed-ridden. Actually, I've been couch-ridden. Very slowly I'm coming out of it, but the last week and a half has been perhaps the most difficult since I initially got sick years ago. And if it sounds like terrible fun to be stuck on the couch forced to watch movies for a while, I can tell you that after several days of being unable to do anything else, it leads to the worst kind of despair. I couldn't work, or return voice mails, or email. My muscles were exhausted, so climbing the stairs to look at my computer was a feat in itself. And don't even think about showering. (Sheesh. This is depressing.) I never want to watch TV again. And that's saying something.

I talked to my doctor again, and he said he was "very encouraged." (Hmmph.) He cut down one of my medications, and indicated that I need to lay low for the next three months -- no travel if I can avoid it, try not to completely overtax myself. It may take a year for me to really start feeling better, and I'm trying to process that as well.

This is probably more than you ever wanted to know about Lyme disease. I promise, we'll get back to Austen soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please note, that I read scrolling down, so I didn't see the health update until I had already transmitted my previous comments. I kind of feel they will come across as unfeeling more than humorous. Oh well.

I am glad that in the face of your feeling utterly awful, your physician remains hopeful about your recovery. It is easy for him/her to say that inasmuch as they don't have to drag themselves through the year feeling as you do.

6/20/2006 09:38:00 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

No worries! No offense taken.

I do feel hope knowing that my doctor is encouraged, and I have to say, I think he's one of the best doctors ever. (I just wish I felt better...)

6/21/2006 11:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home